AZCentral/ARIZONA By Jerod MacDonald-Envoy June 5, 2015
An 84-year-old Oro Valley man was hospitalized after he was stung more than 2,000 times by bees Wednesday evening, authorities said.
Firefighters with the Golder Ranch Fire District arrived to find the man unresponsive and face down on the street after police officers rescued him from his backyard, according to Battalion Chief William Seeley, a spokesman for the Golder Ranch Fire District.
The man was transported to a local hospital where more than 2,000 stingers were removed from his body, including 470 from his arms and head alone, according to Seeley.
The hospital contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which said the man had received two to three times the amount of venom needed to kill him, Seeley said.
Thursday morning 50,000 "extremely aggressive" bees were removed from a shed in the man's backyard, Seeley said.
First responders, as well as the man's neighbor, were stung during the incident as well, according to Seeley.
Seeley did not know the man's current medical status.
Read at and slide-show "How to stay safe around bees"... http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/06/05/84-year-old-man-stung-over-2000-times--bees/28555575/