Hive Registration

Hive Registration

Registration varies between states. Contact your state apiarist for the regulations in your state. For a State Apiarist Directory see:    

Registration in California:

Anyone who keeps bees in California must register with their local County Agricultural Commissioner (CAC) on a yearly basis. There are many reasons to make sure your bees are "on the books."  Your County Agricultural Commissioner can be of assistance in:

  • dealing with neighbors and local regulatory agencies
  • notifications about local pesticide/herbicide applications
  • referrals for swarm captures if you want them 

Los Angeles County:

County of Los Angeles
Department of Agricultural/Weights and Measures
Apiary/AHB/Haz Mat Programs
Pesticide Regulation Division
12300 Lower Azusa Road
Arcadia, CA 91006

Conrad Burton, Inspector, Apiary/AHB/Haz Mat Programs

At a nominal fee per beekeeper, regardless of the number of colonies or apiaries, it's well worth it.

To help you out, we've attached the following form/information/codes:  

Apiary Registration Form (Print out, fill out, return with appropriate fee. Form is revised yearly.)

Apiary Registration Notification (Contains valuable information.)

Read about Bees In Our Environment Apiary Program
Bees in Our Environment Brochure

Apiary Protection Act Ag Code Apiary Protection Act Agricultural Code

California AG Code Apiary Reg California AG Code Apiary Regulation

Ventura County

Registration Form (Ventura County

For information on the Apiary Protection Act, Branding, Tracking, visit: